Tuesday, January 12, 2010

creativity unleashed

I have all this extra time on my hands, and I am loving it.  I have the machine figured out, and I feel like I needed a little something to help get me pointed in the right direction to grow as a long armer.  I used to teach writing, and one thing I can tell you is that more writing doesn't lead to better writing.  Can we say it's safe to say that more quilting doesn't lead to better quilting?  Especially the kind I'm doing.  I need a goal instead of just "doing better" or "avoiding scribble scrabble."  So, I stumbled upon an online class at MQresource called Quilt Whisperer.  The objective of the class is for us to be able to look at a quilt and know what it needs.  Sounds good to me because I really don't have the answers.

So I registered for class and gathered my supplies,

cleaned off my sewing table,

emptied my quilt frame

and my trash cans,
 
loaded my ipod,

gathered some toys to keep a little someone occupied,

and then I was ready to work.  And look what I made.

Okay, so this is my first doodle.  Ever.  Actually, that's not true.  I doodle squares and/or straight lines.  When I'm feeling really creative, I draw lots of squares.  So, for my first doodle, I'm impressed with myself.  I never would have thought I could have done this.  Something about switching from paper & pencil to black paper & white gel pen unleashed something in me.  I like most of this, but I can't wait to do my next doodle to see how much better I can do this.

In all honesty, I was apprehensive about paying so much for an online course when so much information is free.  But then I realized $40 isn't much when you take into account the price of the machine if not utilized to the best of my abilities.

1 comment:

  1. Love the doodles. I have a very creative daughter, but she's into dragons any thing dragons. I'm all about straight lines for my quilting. Shhhh don't tell anyone I'm learning how to quilt, because I'm not a quilter. Really I'm not. LOL

    ReplyDelete